Sunday 19 May 2013

A kerchief and a handkerchief

I found this in a thrift shop:


It's a wonderfully 18th-century-like print. (Although it may have been meant to be Oriental.) I have no idea what the fibre content is - I'd have to pull a thread and play with fire, which I don't feel like doing. It's rather loosely woven and very soft, quite reminiscent of my Indian shawl which is, I believe, rayon. But this isn't an Indian kerchief, because there's this:


I googled "Felicitas Queisser" and did not get much. Most of my results were German. Some Polish. Some Etsy. Some e-Bay. Some claimed vintage. Some claimed new. Some claimed "made in Italy", which did not line up with the fact so many of the results were German. One German site I ran into was an account of 50s fashions and said Felicity Queisser clothing was particularly popular in Germany.
So that's about it. I own a mystery Felicity Queisser kerchief / scarf that could and could not be vintage. It would also make a fabulous printed fichu (there's one here), if only I had a frock that would more or less match it in colour. :D
(Well, of course I'm going to wear it in normal life, just like I wear my Indian shawl. And its colours are so perfectly me.)


This is what the handkerchief I made looks like after a wash:



And last but not least:



Waitaminute, I didn't mean that. But Kuusi and Viisi were too cute to pass up when I had the camera...




The more I listen to this album, the more I love it. Or, rather, the songs on it - Privateering is a very song album.
Also, the colours are giving me ideas. As if I needed them!

6 comments:

  1. That scarf is a great find! With such a beautiful image on it, how would you wear it so it could be appreciated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the question... :D A fichu-like style of wearing it would at least show about half of it, so I guess I'm going to experiment with that.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful scarf! It's amazing what you can find at thrift shops. And I love the lovely handkerchief you made. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thrift shops can be a real treasury! And thank you. :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great find! It was so nice to hear from you. Thank you, Hana.
    I'm glad your computer troubles are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're not completely over because I keep running into things that are still missing in the new computer... but yeah. :-)
      And you're welcome, and thank you!

      Delete