Monday 24 June 2013

The Secret Lives of Bloggers: Bloggers fall ill

I had to stop myself from writing "Bloggers fall ill, too", which would have been a paraphrase of "Bloggers Die, Too", the title of a blog and a never finished story by Groggy. Which goes quite well with the theme of "Secret Lives of Bloggers". I came to internet-know Groggy through the Sergio Leone Web Board; if we were both defined by what our blogs contain, we would probably never cross paths. I only comment on his blog occasionally (because I have seen only a tiny portion of the films he so expertly reviews), and he never comments on mine.

World Turn’d Upside Down

Stephanie Ann came up with this fun idea to document our day-to-day life to break away from that urge to show picture-perfect sides of ourselves on our blogs (which, let's be honest, can be sooo stressful!). I liked the idea, when I visited her blog about a week into the project, and I started taking photos of my day-to-day proceedings. (It was a nice way of trying out my new camera purposefully, too.)
And then I fell ill in my school flat, with slow internet connection and an old memory card reader in my old computer that did not read my new 16 GB memory card. So I have quite the load of photos and boring memories to share now!


2013-06-06 Thursday
Homemade noodles to put into soups. I made them a bit too big, and then spent more time cutting them even smaller, pretty much one by one. I need to master the technique for this... it might have something to do with the fact that the small roller pin I got for my school flat turned out to be ineffective for the firm chewing-gummy dough and I had to use a bottle to roll it out, so it came out quite thick.


2013-06-07 Friday
The essay box, a fixture I became rather closely acquainted with in the weeks to come (one more essay to hand in still remains as of now). How, with my nose full and my head aching, I managed to hand in several essays and get two As and one B is quite beyond me... I guess it means I've got the hang of essay writing by now. Or, that Someone is watching over me...


2013-06-08 Saturday (photo actually taken on Sunday)
Leavened apple slices/whatever. It mysteriously came out tasting of soap or something, which in the end I figured was probably because I must have washed the wooden spoon I mixed the dough with in saponate and not wash it out enough, unknowingly. It was a big pity, because other than that mysterious aftertaste, it came out great. We ate it for days...


2013-06-09 Sunday
And here it begins. I woke up with a sore throat and running nose, and did not go to church. In the afternoon, I had a fever. Here, a ginger tea I used to cure my throat. Accompanied by the usual mess at the kitchen working desk, which got much worse as both me and my sister remained ill.
To the left, you can see a Hollandia yoghurt (one of the two best brands in the Czech Republic, IMO, the other being Choceňský jogurt), and a half-used packet of yeast remaining after Saturday's somewhat failed effort. As I was unable to knead more dough in the days to come, I mixed it with some sugar and milk in the end, and drank it as a vitaminiser (is that a word?). Seeing as yeast contains vitamin B.


2013-06-10 Monday
About as much as I was able to do at this point, other than sleep, drink (lots) and eat (a bit), was sitting with my sister at her computer and play Mahjong with her, or watch MASH.


2013-06-11 Tuesday
Over several episodes of MASH, I managed to finish another handkerchief, one I started on my sewing machine. Two of the corners are not very nice.


2013-06-12 Wednesday
You can't take appetising photos of cough syrup. However, cough syrup meant I was getting slightly better: no more sore throat or dry cough.


2013-06-13 Thursday
I dragged myself to the library and somehow finished and handed in another essay. These are writings that are to be found in one of the toilets. Some young ladies with nail polish were bored... Nail polish, and black marker, and ball-point pen, which can be barely made out in real life and not in the photo. You can see what ugly colour the wall is. The library is a modern building of steel and glass and concrete, and the colour scheme is built around that concrete grey. UGLY.
But covered with vines from the outside. That, at least, is nice.
(Plus, the library is still probably my favourite place to be in the school, because, hey, books and computers with better internet and nice and quiet!)

 

2013-06-14 Friday
The sight of a hot-air balloon above the house across the street is a welcome diversion.



2013-06-15 Saturday
Another defining feature of the days of illness: pancakes with plum jam (povidla). You can see how the filth has been accumulating on the working table. To the left of the pancakes, a tiny glimpse of the bag with my noodles. Was I glad that I had made them!


2013-06-16 Sunday
Another seventh day not kept (I'm not a big stickler for no work - cooking at least has to happen -, but I do try to relax on Sundays). When you're stuck ill away from home, you have to wash your clothes sooner or later, and you have to wash them when you feel strong enough to do it when there's no washing machine.
The washing board was one of quite many things we got from an old couple we worked for/helped out at home last year (mom still goes there at times).


2013-06-17 Monday
Finally feeling relatively well, we went to the Indian restaurant we occasionally go to to share a midday meal. (It comes quite cheap that way.) The restaurant is amazingly shabby, and the food very tasty. And mango lassi!!!

My sister left.



It got hot. Very hot. I had to keep the curtains drawn during the day, because the windows are facing more or less to the south, and they are large windows!



2013-06-18 Tuesday
In those hot days, I took to wearing my chemise and my very Frankensteined attempt at transitional wrap jumps (more on that experimental project later) at home.
I came to Brno when it was still cold, and all I had by way of outdoor clothes were black corduroy trousers and high lace-up boots. Eugh!
Fortunately, I also had my wear-at-home skirt and pumps I wanted to wear to a special occasion I did not get to.


2013-06-19 Wednesday
On the way home. The skirt was good. The pumps less so: they are faily new (second-hand, but apparently the previous owner did not wear them much); in the hot weather, my feet were swollen and it chafed. A lot. I still have band aids on some places...
(Do not worry; the pumps do fit. It's just not the best of ideas to wear fairly new shoes in hot weather, on bare feet. Do not do that if you do not really have to.)
Late that night, I arrived to my hometown, and walked home barefooted. The pavement was still warm and it was rather pleasant.



I arrived home to find three letters from Australia, from a recipe swap on Down to Earth Forums. Yay! Made my day, especially this Echidna.




2013-06-20 Thursday
Can you guess what this is?


2013-06-21 Friday
It finally rained again in the night, but it still was hot during the day. If you look very closely, you can see some drops on this rose... It's been in our garden for a long time. It never looks like much in the spring, and then it blooms again, a lovely yellow rose.

I forgot to take a photo on Saturday. Those two days were busy anyway, working in a friend's home where I go to help out with the cleaning work. Every now and then, it's more than the regular dust and floors.



2013-06-23 Sunday
I finally made it to church again! John the Baptist was the theme, because apparently traditionally he was celebrated on June 24th. The last point of the sermon was about change, something I need to give thought to...
The cross was a gift to our congregation from an affiliated congregation in Scotland (but sadly, the contact seems to have withered away).
There was this beautiful flower arrangement sitting on the table, so wonderfully representative of early summer. I took this first photo (I'm not sure why it's so distorted - still getting used to the new camera!). And then I noticed there were my absolute favourite early summer flowers (Crown Vetch, Wikipedia tells me they're called in English) in the back of it.



So I end my account of a rather boring and tiresome fortnight with cheerful flowers. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Those noodles look good; at first I thought they were fries/chips, but they look tasty! Pancakes and plum jam sounds nice, too. I also love all your flower shots, especially the yellow rose.

    I'm sorry that you were sick for some time; it's awful having a sore throat and running nose. I hope you're much better now.

    Thanks also for all the comments you posted on my blog! I discovered your blog this morning when you commented on Stephanie's; I'd already planned to comment here but you commented on mine first! :D

    Excellent work on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were sick. These photos are great! I love seeing the food you make as well as your normal routine. I have never been to continental Europe and it's always nice to see how you live because it seems very different from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fine now. I think it was the crazy weather we've been having this year; it's cold and raining again now!
    It's funny, because routine is routine and food is food; and yet there are differences...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's so Frankensteinish about your dress? It looks very nice - although because it's the same color as your chemise, it doesn't show up so well. Still, you were dressed nicely for someone who wasn't feeling well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the back (and the underarms). Which obviously does not show up; but the back's in the post that's up now.
      Most of the time before that, I wore pyjamas. This happened only towards the end when it got really hot. But that's the fun thing about these historical undergarments - they're pretty even when they're plain!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete