Monday 10 February 2014

The world is full of beautiful things


Last year, while searching for historical depictions of kathak dancers to try and figure out if the costume I was making for my sister had any sort of historical background, I did not find much by way of that, but instead, I found this.


The "origin" part is a bit dubious (there are many origins); ignore that and watch from 0:53 - it is, both me and my sister have agreed, one of the most fantastic dance numbers we have ever seen.






And Ennio Morricone. Yesterday. 22th row. I had to crane my neck to see, but I did see; I saw various instruments playing at various times in the music, and I love that.






There are few musical pieces more breathtaking than this. In fact, there are few musical pieces as breathtaking as this; I do not think "more" applies anywhere.

There was standing ovation, always, and it was a bit difficult with my large coat, but I did stand up, because everyone did, and how can you not? There were three encores, and this was one of them. Another was The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, which my father has a certain fondness for (I have not been able to tell him yet, because he was already asleep yesterday and now he's at work), and the third and last was On Earth as It Is In Heaven from The Mission, and there's that, too:

I nearly missed the station on the way there, reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller on the train. It's not the sort of book that blows my mind exactly (the style of sharing stories about himself and his friends gets a bit repetitive and somewhat simplified after a while; and now that I think about it, there might be something else yet again to the Bible being so diverse, genre-wise), but it's the sort of book I keep laughing while I read, because so much of it is so true.
Then I read it before the concert started. There was a bit of a blend in with the music later on, even though Morricone in the document they showed in the beginning said there was no "meaning" to the music except the same that is in the film, and what the audience finds in it is of no concern to the composer who only has to be true to the music, or something along those lines. But the book got me wondering, so I wondered, about a large orchestra and choir playing and singing On Earth As It Is In Heaven, with the composer conducting.

So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment