Monday, 3 August 2015

Heritage sneak peak

The original idea was a Moravian Wallachian folk costume shirt that could double as a Regency shirt and would involve this so far rather wonky embroidery...



... but seeing how long that's no doubt going to take and that I have other priorities than to spend the month of August embroidering, it got relegated to slow progress and the Silver Screen challenge (I do have a way to make it fit that, honestly).

The green stitches are me finally trying out the various stitches in the book on folk costume embroidery I bought years ago. The diagrams are rather confusing, but I think I've finally figured most of them out.
One of the things learned: Detached buttonhole stitch is called "stínek" in Czech; it's also the name for this, as it's used to connect two pieces of fabric. Based on that and a picture in the book, I'm assuming the name applies to the stitch because it was also used to connect two pieces of fabric.

* * *

What I turned to for this month is, instead, a Moravian Wallachian folk costume bodice.
Which will carry on to the later Sewing Secrets challenge with the addition of detachable sleeves to be turned into an approx. 1790s jacket/spencer (exact method of attachment to be determined). No, I don't think it's entirely accurate, but it's close enough and it works for me! If I'll be attending more of the Regency events, I'll need a spencer sooner or later, so why not kill two birds with one stone?


The pattern was derived from the kacabajka pattern, because I really do like killing two birds with one stone and using what I already have.

The fabric used to be a thrifted coat. It's only 80% wool, but how often would I find quite a lot of historically passable red wool fabric only for 50 CZK? I squeezed the whole of the body from the raglan sleeves. The new, curved sleeves will have to be cut from the body of the coat. Ah, the paradoxes of repurposing!

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely stitch, Hana! That looks charming, and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that kind of ingenuity and determination to make something earn its keep and reuse what is available - THAT is the most historically accurate attitude you could possibly have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm telling myself as well. :D

      Delete
  3. Lovely embroidery, Hana. :) So excited to see the finished ensemble when it's done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I'm not sure I'll make it to full ensemble levels, although this particular folk costume is definitely much more user-friendly than others! I can imagine non-folk-costumey uses for most of the pieces; unfortunately, some pieces that would take it the whole way, not so much - pricey and specific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Any small ensemble counts and the specific bits seem to be one of the downsides of folk costume everywhere. Some are expensive / hard to hunt down and not that well suited for another use. But I'm sure your result will be wonderful.

      Delete