Thursday 8 March 2012

An Austrian 1932 magazine and pattern catalogue

Some (a long...) time ago, I borrowed a stack of 1930s and 40s German and Austrian magazines from my aunt, with the intention of scanning them and tracing the pattern sheets that survived the flow of time. The tracing is tiresome and the scanning complicated, because most of them are bigger than our scanner - so I still have them. This is one of them.

"Die schöne Wienerin", from the year 1932 - it does not state the month, but this illustration suggests it was in spring.

It's a women's magazine and a pattern catalogue. It states on the cover that there also was a free pattern sheet attached, but that's gone now (sadly). ETA: I've now found out that the Czech magazine Nové pařížské módy used the same plates - and is freely available on the site of Moravská zemská knihovna, pattern supplement included. (They date that one to 1930-31, though. Weird.)

I won't comment these pictures... I don't have the time and patience to translate from German now. Just sit back and enjoy.














The cowl-necked blouse in the middle is available on the Czech pattern sheet.






The puffed-sleeved nightgown on the left is available in the Czech pattern sheet.









2 comments:

  1. These are marvelous! How fun to have an Austrian magazine=)

    I think my favorite is the dress with the pleated skirt in the second picture from the top. So cute:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I love that there are some photos as well - it gives a much better idea of what the clothes looked like. And that one is definitely cute!
      One of the magazines even turns out to have been published in Czechoslovakia - that makes it a bit of history of my own country. The German part that is mostly forgotten now.

      Delete