Saturday 24 July 2010

Who's the most famous Czech artist?


The answer is obvious, I think... I wanted to celebrate the anniversary of his birth, because I really like a lot of his work. But I don't think I have to add anything else about him, because many other sites out there do that work for me.
Although...
With that Czech "national" costume theme I'm having lately, I think it's interesting that Mucha did design some Czech national costumes as well. In 1886, so the label is off, but I'm not bothering with a new label for only one post. (Besides, as I previously mentioned, the book on national costume in 1848 covers some years beyond that as well, so let us just take this very approximately).
What do you think of his version of it?


(Picture scanned from Ludmila Kybalová: Doba turnýry a secese, Nakladatelství Lidové noviny, Prague, 2006. I should remember to quote my sources properly!)

2 comments:

  1. Ummmm...I'm not loving them in the way I love most of Mucha's dresses, but I can see possibilities for the full, pleated skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they're not entirely what you expect from him. They're earlier work, too...

    ReplyDelete